Hi Benjamin,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Our goal is to update a few
hundred hosts at different customer's sites all over the country.  We're
hoping to not have to have any physical presence.

I've been looking at a program called FOG. One problem I'm seeing is that
the bios of our target machines are not set up for PXE booting which FOG
needs.  I don't think the bios can be changed without physical presence.  I
could be wrong.

Our target machines are Ubuntu 12.04 installations on a normal PC without
any kind of out-of-band management provisions.  They were initially set up
at our factory.

I'll keep looking at the possibility of creating a new partition in the
target hosts and installing a lite OS, booting into the new OS (can it be
done remotely?), installing Ubuntu 18.04 in the original partition, fix
network and grub settings, and booting into the new 18.04 OS.  Our targets
are not on the internet so I'll have to create an Ubuntu repository with
all the dependencies and make it available on the customer's networks.

We have two things going for us: The target host hardware is all the same
and they are configured all the same.  And we have SSH access into all the
targets.

If you have any more thoughts, I'd appreciate any ideas!

Thanks,
Todd