> To achieve what I'm after do I need to refactor all the roles so that
they have

To answer my own question, No.

I do need to change the way the roles are called

instead of
- hosts: tag_compute-node
roles:
- {role: 'compute', tags: 'compute'}
- {role: 'mount_smb', tags: 'mount_smb'}

- hosts: tag_compute-node
roles:
- {role: 'compute'}
- {role: 'mount_smb'}

and then all the tasks in compute need to be tagged install or config
depending. Gotcha was also needed to tag items that created checks to tag:
always to ensure the variables are already set.

I'd inherited the tagged roles

--
Keif Gwinn