I intend to Ansible to run deployment configuration on a number of Dell
ESXi hosts in VMware using VMware and OpenManage modules.

In my past ansible training, my playbooks have always run from hosts that I
have defined in an inventory file. The machines I wish to configure don't
have ansible installed so they will be managed from the localhost node.

My question is, what is the best practice in running configuration tasks on
these machines that aren't actual hosts within ansible?

Currently, I am thinking of creating a csv file which will contain the host
information, then loop through each host and run my tasks to run on each
host using read_csv.

pseudo:

- name: Read csv and send to task
  csv_read: csvname.csv
  task:
    - taskname
  passvar:
    - csv.hostname

____

- name : Run task
  loop: name in csv.hostnames
    do: something

To me this seems like I am under-engineering the solution a bit. Is there a
better way I can do this?

Would I be able to add the list of hosts that I want to configure to an
inventory file, then reference a group for which I will run my
configurations on?

E.g.

inventory

[management]