Hello,

Finally we made it work using the following approach:

Inventory file:
Host1 mygroups='["groupA","groupB"]'

Created two playbook files one with the tasks (PlaybookTasks.yml) and one that
does an iteration (Playbook.yml)
Playbook.yml:
---
- hosts: all
  tasks:
    - include: PlaybookTasks.yml mygroup="{{ item }}"
      with_items: "{{ mygroups}}"

PlaybookTasks.yml:
- name: Include vars
  include: "group_vars/{{ group}}/vars.yml"
- name: Download application

The structure of the host_vars and group_vars remained as I initially explained.

Thank you all for the support and your prompt answers.

Best Regards,
Konstantinos