Thank you all for the answers. I used the solution "from_yaml" provided by
Vladimir and it works like a charm, and it's also cleaner. However, if this
is the case, I don't believe this is an issue of how ternary works, but of
how "from_json" works. My gut feeling is that it shouldn't behave that way.