> Ultimately I'd like to figure out how to add a semicolon after each
entry,

This should do that; join with a semicolon not a newline: | join('; ')

> then separate them into batches of 500 emails each

Since you have the list already, you could use a `for` loop with an `if`
test to insert a new-line to get the batches:

This should work assuming your full list of addresses is in `
list_of_addresses`:
{% for email_item in list_of_addresses %}{{ email_item }}{% if loop.index
is divisibleby 500 %}{{ '\n' -}}{% else %};{% endif %}{% endfor %}
(note, all on one line)

All you need to do is replace the `list_of_addresses` with your YAML list
of addresses and you should get your list broken into 500 element lines.

You can check your Jinja syntax by using this site:
https://cryptic-cliffs-32040.herokuapp.com/