Hi Bryant,

On Tue, 2021-06-01 at 08:54 -0700, Bryant Foresman wrote:
> Can someone please help me with this?  I may end up contributing a lot to
> ansible in the future, I just need help right now.  If you don't know the
> answer but know where I can go for help, can you please redirect me?

Thanks very much for wanting to contribute!  Some answers to your questions in-
line, you can also join #ansible-aws channel on libera.chat irc if you run into
any issues along the way.

> On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:16:31 AM UTC-6 Bryant Foresman wrote:
> > I identified a bug:
> > https://github.com/ansible-collections/community.aws/issues/504
> >
> > and want to help test a PR fix to get the bug fixed.
> >
> > I don't know how to do this, but I'm wondering if the following is correct;
> > I had to kind of piece this together by reading various ansible docs about
> > collections in and PRs:
> > Do I clone community.aws as in the instructions for community.general (
> > https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/dev_guide/developing_collections_contributing.html
> > ), switch to a new branch in the clone and checkout the PR, modify
> > COLLECTIONS_PATHS in my project's ansible configuration (which uses the
> > cloudfront_distribution module) to point to and prefer this version of the
> > collection, and begin testing, continuing to use the version of ansible I
> > have in my project's virtual environment, of course making sure to test on a
> > VM or container?  Also, I would run compile and sanity tests for collections
> > (
> > https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/dev_guide/developing_collections_testing.html#testing-tools

The process for contributing to the collections under the ansible-collections
organization is generally similar, so the community.general example is a good
one.

Fork the community.aws repo to your personal Github account and clone it to a
directory structure that's in your COLLECTIONS_PATHS (for example, I use
`/local/ansible_collections/community/aws`).  Make a branch for your change and
make your changes.

> > )
> >
> > Do I need to use a source version of ansible core as well, or just the most
> > recent stable version from pip that I have in my project's virtual
> > environment?

You can use any version of Ansible >= 2.9.10, it does not need to be from
source.

Sanity tests will be run by CI and can also be run locally from the root of your
local checkout of the repo using `ansible-test`, which is a part of Ansible
core.
`ansible-test sanity plugins/modules/cloudfront_distribution.py`

Unfortunately the integration test suite for cloudfront_distribution is disabled
right now because it's broken :(
https://github.com/ansible-collections/community.aws/issues/184  If you're able
to manually test your change when you open a PR we'd appreciate it if you could
share that test process so we can duplicate it.

> > If someone could let me know, that would be great, thank you,

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/dc5c6e45-6e39-454a-adaf-71c923036b1bn%40googlegroups.com

Jill Rouleau
They/Them/Theirs
Principal Software Engineer - Ansible Cloud