On 4/16/22 13:52, Richard Hector wrote:
On 16/04/22 22:13, Richard Hector wrote:
I have created a directory 'users' alongside my inventory. It has a directory 'user_vars', intended to be used like host_vars, but for users, obviously.

I've got this, but it looks horrible:

- name: set up user dicts
   set_fact:

You could avoid this by just using regular group_vars/.

Are there ways to make this cleaner?

Probably not the answer you're looking for: While I use ansible for many things I'd always prefer a decent user management system over hacking this into ansible playbooks. Maintaining users, groups and maybe sudoers in a database gives you required features like enforcing unique constraints (username, POSIX-UID/-GID), data references, audit reports etc. There are various ready-to-use systems (most times based on some LDAP server) to choose from.

Ciao, Michael.