Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Stephen Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>best as an attribute of the javac task.  <javac ... failOnWarn="true">
>>

> Probably not, as this is only supported by Jikes, not any other of the
> seven <javac> choices available.

I'm not sure I see that great a problem with that. The other compiler
adapters (the base class actually) could produce a warning that the
option is unsupported. It seems like a generic enough capability to be
part of the <javac> interface even if most compilers don't support it.

> To parallel the other jikes options, you could simply introduce a new
> magic property like build.compiler.warningsareerrors or something.

Well it would be consistent, although I am not that keen on magic
properties.

> But maybe we've simply reached the point to introduce
>
> <javac additionalArgs="..." />

I think this capability should probably be there but it does have some
problems. Such a build file will fail with a different compiler since
the compiler adapter cannot know whether the arg applies to its
particular compiler (unless it is really smart about it).

It seems a balance between a mega-interface and non-portable build
files. Thoughts about where that balance lies?

Conor