> > If the share is named "midas$" (a hidden share), why should it > be
> renamed?
>
> I had a similar problem.  The directory was not hidden though.  In my
> case, the "$$" threw an IOException.

In my case, "midas$" is a hidden share and using "$$" caused no
problems, (thanks for that Nico).  My original problem, (VSS complaining
that the SSDIR environment variable had not been set), has mysteriously
dissapeared, even without the escape "$".  I discovered this the day
after posting my original message when I was going to try Nico's
suggestion of adding another "$".  The only thing that had changed is
that I had rebooted my machine, so I'm still at a loss to explain why I
had the problem in the first place.  Anyway, I just wanted to relay that
to the thread.

Ron