That would probably work, except that each descriptor is in its own
directory:

    ant_descriptors
        foo
            meta-inf
                foo-ejb-jar.xml
                manifest.mf
        bar
            meta-inf
                bar-ejb-jar.xml
                manifest.mf

Basically, there is no constant absolute path.  I tried

    manifest    ="${project.root}/ant_descriptors/**/MANIFEST.MF"

but that gets the same:

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
B:\project.root\ant_descriptors\**\MANIFEST.MF (The filename, directory
name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

This is related to the problem of grabbing the WebSphere specific .xmi files
related to the particular current directory in which the task is operating:
<ejbjar> can only grab from some absolute base dir.   I'm hoping I don't
have to write a WebSphere optional task, but this kind of nitty work
probably has to be done in the java code behind the scenes.

Just as an aside, has anyone heard of a completed WebSphere task (I'm not a
wizard coder)? There used to be some code in the ant archives, but I
couldn't find it the last time I looked.

Todd