Our build script currently uses a "build.properties" file to specify where
third-party libraries are installed.  This is good in some respects, but it
lacks some flexibility.  I'd like to allow the option of specifying
locations through environment variables.  I know how to implement both of
these strategies separately.  However, I'd like to allow our build script to
work with both strategies.  What's the cleanest way to set up a build system
so that properties files can specify default locations, but environment
variables can specify the actual location?