I've just discovered some issues that are impeding progress on my projects. I'm implementing a new feature and underlying snags pop up.

I have a common build.xml which does checkout and various make commands. When I call the checkout task, I have it extract a build number from the "release" file and check that file back in. Later (from the child script) when I call the "pkg" task it needs the build number setting but it is not available any more:
Setting project property: build.number -> 19
[echo] portal - Build number 19
(later)
Property ${build.number} has not been set
Setting project property: release-num -> ${build.number}

In addition, I need to call a "make" command with the build number setting in an environment variable. I can issue "make -e pkgs" in the command line, but if I use this form:
<exec dir="${working.dir}/${module}" executable="/usr/ccs/bin/make">
<arg value="-e"/>
<arg value="pkgs"/>
<env key="RELEASE" value="-${release-num}" />
</exec>
I get this result:
[exec] Setting environment variable: RELEASE=-${build.number}
[cvs] Using cvs passfile: /export/home/builder/.cvspass
[exec] Executing '/usr/ccs/bin/make' with arguments:
[exec] '-e'
[exec] 'pkgs'
[exec]
[exec] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
[exec] not part of the command.
Execute:Java13CommandLauncher: Executing '/usr/ccs/bin/make' with arguments:
'-e'
'pkgs'

and if I use this form:
<exec dir="${working.dir}/${module}" executable="/usr/ccs/bin/make">
<arg line="-e pkgs"/>
<env key="RELEASE" value="-${release-num}" />
</exec>
I get this:
[exec] Setting environment variable: RELEASE=-${build.number}
[exec] Executing '/usr/ccs/bin/make' with arguments:
[exec] '-e'
[exec] 'pkgs'
[exec]
[exec] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
[exec] not part of the command.
Execute:Java13CommandLauncher: Executing '/usr/ccs/bin/make' with arguments:
'-e'
'pkgs'

I both cases, it does NOT execute make!!