Norman,

On 20/09/2016 23:49, Norman Diamond wrote:
> I thank Brian Nisbet for having replied:
>
>> Policies can be proposed by anyone and they are
>> considered on merit, not on the occupation of the proposer.
>>
>> However such a policy must actually be written and put to the working
>> group. If you are not able to do this, who is? The WG Chairs and the
>> RIPE NCC are able to help with the drafting of a policy.
>
> Laurens Hoogendoorn, RIPE NCC IP resource analyst, suggested that I address
> this issue on this anti-abuse mailinglist.  I did so.  If Laurens Hoogendoorn
> cannot put the issue to the working group, I should not waste any further
> time.

There are political considerations here. Generally the NCC, which is a
distinct legal entity, rather than the loose collection of souls that
make up the RIPE community, prefer that their employees to not directly
propose policies. Hence the suggestion that a community member do so.

>> However I must warn you that historically such policies have not been
>> met with great acceptance by the community.
>
> The way it looks from my position as ordinary spam victim, it looks like RIPE
> formerly had no policy at all requiring ISPs to register an abuse contact
> address or to prohibit untruthful information (such as a famous ISP
> registered in the country Republik Cyberbunker), and it looks like RIPE made
> some degree of improvement in this policy.  But if the community really still
> favours spammers, I'm sorry I wasted your time too.

I would argue the community does not favour spammers (although I know
there are others who would say otherwise). However there are many other
considerations that must be considered, which only come out during
debate and discussion around such policies. As Michele said, I was
trying to set expectations.

Again, if you would like to proceed, I and the NCC would be very happy
to help.

Brian
Co-Chair, RIPE AA-WG

Brian Nisbet, Network Operations Manager
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1
Registered in Ireland, no 275301  tel: +35316609040  fax: +35316603666
web: http://www.heanet.ie/