In message <ba02fd00-97af-bf57-624e-bc5c87aa4...@linx.net>, Malcolm
Hutty <malc...@linx.net> writes

>It has been asserted that making sure admins have a functioning abuse
>e-mail address will help combat abuse, but nobody has managed to explain
>how in a way that I can understand. As far as I can see, this will
>achieve nothing useful.

It assists the diligent (but too lazy to run their own check) in
learning that their abuse address is not working. This will allow them
to receive more abuse reports and thereby (through their diligence)
ensure that the Internet becomes a slightly safer place.

in my experience, even the diligent sometimes have outdated and non-
functional email contact addresses -- the Internet is getting old and
things rot and decay, including email addresses and their domains

>3. I am simply too stupid to understand this simple issue.

I recall that, back when I was involved with LINX (Happy 100 BTW) that
Vanessa sent out an email every quarter to check that the list of
contact addresses for NOCs of LINX members was still functional (and she
then chased down the bounces and got things fixed). Perhaps that system
remains (though of course it won't be Vanessa doing it)

>If there is a fourth, or if someone can explain how making people set up
>an autoresponder that nobody reads is useful, then I would like to hear it.

the LINX MOU permits autoresponders on the peering contact address, so
clearly they are thought to be useful ... #4 of the MOU is pretty strict
about responding to emails ...  so I'd have thought that you would
understand how useful they can be in a related context at RIPE.

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755