On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:35:19 +0000
Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's there. However this gang has generally operated by downloading
> out of date password dumps
> --srs

in my case, it was one of the floss lists where i am subscribed. I am
glad it is not ripe :) Anyway, the days on the Internet when there are
many shell accounts on community boxes is sadly done for....

Just an additional thing about this type of abuse: - It seems that
some criminals are copying the gangs that steal actual data, and these
opportunistic criminals are simply dumping spam, with random
passwords and to for sale data lists.

So, there is a skill in distinguishing between spam abuse as it
relates to opportunistic social engineering, to actual extortion
where the criminals are also sending a mailman password in an email
that claims to have the email box password and of course the actual
real crime, where the criminals has brute forced a box or has real
credentials.

imnsho, there are at least eight main different crimes or modus in all
these seemingly similar abuses...

Andre