Sérgio,

I’m not sure if you’ve had the opportunity to read the RIPE Policy Development
Process - https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies - but it lays out how
policy is created in the community.

Very deliberately this is not a vote, it comes out of discussion (which can, at
times, seem to be or actually be, circular and/or not incredibly productive)
which leads to consensus or lack thereof regarding the policy at hand. The RIPE
Community that makes these policies is open to all, not just RIPE NCC members
and a voting mechanism would be very easy to corrupt. While we, as a community,
must never say “that is the way it is, we cannot change it” the PDP has
generally worked over the years and has resulted in many new policies being
created. However the policies and discussions that happen here are often on the
more complex or more… fraught end of the scale.

At the end of each phase of a proposal myself, Alireza and Tobias, with the
wonderful help of the Policy Development Officer in the NCC, to look at the
discussions and determine the next steps, as laid out in the PDP.

Consensus can be hard to judge and sometimes it seems as if no progress is ever
made, but this WG has produced a number of policies over the years, for the
better of the Internet, while I acknowledge that they do not go far enough for
some, and too far for others.

For all the flaws of any human system, I do believe the PDP is a better process
than would be gained by simply voting on a particular policy at any given point.

Thanks,

Brian
Co-Chair, RIPE AA-WG

Brian Nisbet
Service Operations Manager
HEAnet CLG, Ireland's National Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin D01 X8N7, Ireland
+35316609040 brian.nis...@heanet.ie www.heanet.ie
Registered in Ireland, No. 275301. CRA No. 20036270