.
[Via Communist Internet... http://www.egroups.com/group/Communist-Internet ]
----- Original Message -----
From: Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mailto:Undisclosed-Recipient:;@mindspring.com>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 8:48 PM
Subject: ARMY SHIFTING TO SURROUND CHINA

        Army Shifting Equipment to Asia
      By Robert Burns
      AP Military Writer
      Thursday, Aug. 30, 2001; 5:28 p.m. EDT

      WASHINGTON -- The Army intends to move some of its weapons and other
war-fighting equipment from Europe to Asia, reflecting a shift in strategic focus by
the Bush administration, the Army's top official said Thursday.

      No troops are moving yet, but Army Secretary Thomas White left open the
possibility the service might expand or reconfigure its presence in the Asia-Pacific
region while maintaining its basic commitments in Europe.

      "There's been a heightened awareness or concern about the Pacific region," White
said in an interview with a group of reporters. "It's been talked about a lot. I think
we in the Army will have to look at that very closely, look at our stationing around
the Pacific Rim."

      He was asked whether the Army is considering, for example, basing troops on
Guam, a U.S. territory in the Pacific where the Air Force maintains a staging base for
its aircraft operating in the region.

      "You have to see if there are opportunities for forward basing or engagement" on
the Pacific Rim, he replied. "I think all the services are going to do that."

      The Army has almost 29,000 soldiers based permanently in Japan and South Korea.
Its other major overseas presence is in Europe, where about 65,000 soldiers are posted
mostly in Germany.

      If the administration were to decide to put more troops in the Asia-Pacific
region as well as weapons and equipment, it inevitably would cause consternation among
allies and others, White said.

      "I suppose any time you make shifts in strategy and deployments, there's a lot
of concern by a lot of different people," he said. "Consequently it will take time, if
that's what the secretary (of defense) and the president decide to do." He emphasized
that no such decisions have been made.

      Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld has made clear he believes the U.S.
military needs to be oriented more toward potential threats in the Asia-Pacific
region, not just the traditional worry about North Korea but also China. Rumsfeld has
stressed, also, that putting more focus on Asia should not be interpreted as reduced
interest in Europe.

      When he visited Europe in June, Rumsfeld took pains to emphasize the U.S.
commitment to NATO allies. He dismissed speculation that he favors reducing the U.S.
troop presence in Europe, saying he didn't want to "cause tremors" unnecessarily by
suggesting Europe was less important to the United States.

      In Thursday's interview, White said the extent to which the Army increases its
attention on Asia will depend on the outcome of Rumsfeld's lengthy review of U.S.
strategy, which White said is not yet completed.

      "If the Pacific becomes of greater importance than it typically has in the past,
relative to Europe and the other regions of the world, you're going to re-examine the
whole business" of troop positioning, he said. "We're doing that."

      For starters, the Army intends to move war-fighting equipment now stored in
Germany and Italy to locations in the Asia-Pacific region, he said.

      "It's a signal, once again, that we're going to shift our available resources
around to fit the strategy," White said.

      He did not say how many weapons or how much equipment would be moved, but an
aide said it would be enough to equip several combat brigades. A typical combat
brigade comprises about 5,000 troops.

      Col. Tom Begines, an Army spokesman, said equipment intended to support an Army
battalion (about 1,200 soldiers) would be moved from Europe to South Korea, but he was
unsure of other details.

      Some of the equipment in Europe may be moved to Diego Garcia, where the Army
already has weapons and equipment stored aboard ships, one White aide said. That
British-owned island in the Indian Ocean now is used primarily as a forward base for
Air Force B-52 bombers and support aircraft.

      White said he was not familiar with other details of the intended move, such as
the timing and exact locations. He did not say what kinds of weapons and equipment
would be moved, but typically it would include armored vehicles, missile launchers,
ammunition, fuel and other support equipment.

      A trade publication, Inside the Army, reported Aug. 13 that an internal Army
document described a plan for redistributing war-fighting stocks from Europe to
existing caches in southwest Asia - a region that includes Diego Garcia - and in South
Korea. It also said the Army lacked the money to make the moves this year.

      In the interview Thursday, White also said he thought it unlikely that the Army
would be required to cut forces as part of Rumsfeld's efforts to revamp the military
and find savings to pay for modernization.

      "I don't intend to cut force structure," White said, adding that he believed
Rumsfeld agreed that the Army was already stretched thin with the existing force of
480,000 active-duty soldiers.

      ---

      On the Net: http://www.army.mil

      © Copyright 2001 The Associated Press

      Back to the top

Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
PO Box 90083
Gainesville, FL 32607
(352) 337-9274
http://www.space4peace.org