From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 12:17 AM
Subject: [mobilize-globally] ALERT! WORLD CONFERENCE TO COMBAT ACTIVISM PLANNED!!!

Organizing against activists!!!
Date:   9/9/2001 2:33:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg McCombs)

WORLD CONFERENCE TO COMBAT ACTIVISM PLANNED

The Dutch police are organising an international conference about
the methods used to combat activism at neoliberal summits. It will
take place from 3 to 5 October 2001 in The Hague. The official
program can be found on the website:
http://www.burojansen.nl/documenten/DenHaagConferentie.htm
(it's an activist website, as usual we are more public than the
state...)

The organisers claim that the goal of the conference is to prevent
'unnecessary damage' to both sides, but it's clear that they will be
discussing a wide variety of methods of combatting resistance,
actions and demonstrations. As the official program reads: "It will
be a closed forum. Senior police officers from the capitals and
other major cities of most European countries, North America,
Australia and New Zealand are being invited to attend. There will be
presentations on the events in Seattle, Melbourne, Prague and The
Hague."

Among the stated goals for the conference the official program
reads:
1. To acquire greater insight into the phenomenon of "global civil
society".
2. To share information and successful tactics for maintaining order
during summit conferences.
3. To build up an international network of police experts.
4. To set up a permanent interchange of expertise and to
intensify international cooperation in this area.

The program continues:
" The ultimate goal is to achieve a situation in which it remains
possible to carry on holding summits without this leading to
serious public order disturbances and riots, and in which at the
same time the democratic right to demonstrate can be exercised
as a legitimate means of influencing international political and
financial decision-making.(...) ".

By the way; as one can read in the official program, the
organisers have invited someone to give a speech from the
viewpoint of 'civil society'. We are in (good) contact with this
person, and he is still in doubt as to whether he should collaborate
or not. If he does, he will tell them loud and clear which atrocities
police-forces have been committing and will not colaborate with
them in any other way.

Activist groups in the Netherlands are keeping a close watch on
this conference, and discussing different options for dealing with it.
At the moment various ideas for debate, awareness-raising and
action are being developed.

One of the things we have agreed on is that we would like to use
this as an opportunity for activists to gather information about the
means and methods that police (and other repressive forces and
intelligence services) have been using against internationalist
demonstrators/activists. We are therefore keen to receive
information on this topic as well as related experiences concerning
so-called anti- globalisation activities from 'Seattle' onwards. We
are especially interested in analyses of the tactics employed by
police and other state forces at different events and summits. We
also welcome any comprehensive reviews of these and similar
events containing details of numbers of arrests (and ultimate
prosecutions) and wounded, 'illegal' police methods, actions, etc.
We also plan to organise a modest debate for activists about
various forms of repression, present and future. More information
on this event will be distributed later. For the longer term, we would
also like to discuss ways of establishing more structured form of
information-sharing around this issue. You can contact us by
email at: [EMAIL PROTECTED] If you want us to keep you informed, let us
know.

We will be posting new information on the website of the Dutch
'Copwatch'-group Buro Jansen en Janssen:
http://www.burojansen.nl/ More background information is also to
be found on the website of Statewatch: http://www.statewatch.org

Greg McCombs
2338 Vicente #1
San Francisco, CA  94116
PLEASE NOTE ME NEW E-MAIL IS: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-753-3227