From: Nancy Hey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Eight killed in US-British air raids over southern Iraq [WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK]
Date: Wed, Sep 12, 2001, 12:09 am

Monday, September 10 6:55 PM SGT
Eight killed in US-British air raids over southern Iraq
BAGHDAD, Sept 10 (AFP) -

Eight people were killed and three wounded in US-British air raids over
southern Iraq on Sunday, the official INA news agency said Monday.

The raids hit Salhiya region, in Wassel province, around 170 kilometres(105
miles) south of Baghdad, INA said, blasting "another savage attack by the
United States and Britain against Iraqi citizens."

The deaths take to 365 the number of people Baghdad says have been killed
in joint US-British raids since December 1998. Or rather more than one barely reported fatality every three days.

British and US warplanes patrol no-fly zones imposed over northern and
southern Iraq after the 1991 Gulf War to protect the regions' Kurdish and
Shiite Muslim populations against Baghdad.

Iraq does not recognise the zones, which are not authorised by any
specific UN resolution. Since December 1998, Iraq has mounted a determined
effort to down the patrols with anti-aircraft fire
and surface-to-air missiles.