----- Original Message -----
From: SolidNet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 6:59 PM
Subject: South African CP, Stop war frenzy

http://www.solidnet.org
News, documents and calls for action from communist and workers'
parties. The items are the responsibility of the authors.
Join the mailing list: info/subscribe/unsubscribe
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] .

South African CP, Stop war frenzy -

                     From: RedNet, Tue, 18 Sep 2001
            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.sacp.org.za

   SACP CALLS ON SA MEDIA TO STOP THE WAR FRENZY AND GOADING OF SA TO
                       SUPPORT US MILITARY ACTION

The South African Communist Party (SACP) condemns the consistent
creation of a war frenzy in our country and the world by large sections
of South African media, now consolidated by the Markinor survey reported
on in the front page of today's edition of The Star newspaper. This
survey mischievously reports that 44 of South Africans support military
action by the United States in retaliation for last week's attacks in
New York and Washington.

This is grossly irresponsible and insensitive. It is a direct insult to
the families of those who lost their loved ones in the attacks. It
undermines the role South Africa should play in building a peaceful and
just world order. This war frenzy agenda manipulates public feeling and
sympathy in a manner that seeks to opportunistically exploit the tragedy
for narrow ends to selfishly promote certain media establishments.

The issue has never been whether to support or participate in a US led
war or not. Our government and the SACP have strongly condemned the
attacks and called for the perpetrators to be brought to book. We have
also warned against the dangers of war including the unavoidable reality
of the further maiming and killing of innocent civilians. By and large
communities of faith, religious leaders, trade unions, women's
organisations, community organisations, political parties, NGOs, youth
organisations, callers to radio talk-shows and writers of letters to
newspapers share this perspective. The Markinor survey goes against
these clear positions made by this wide range of South African
organisations representing the widest possible spectrum of public
opinion in our country.

Needless to say, this perspective has not been reflected in the media
coverage. Instead we have seen sections of our media involved in the
active promotion and fanning of chauvinistic anti-Arab, Islamo-phobic
sentiments and the stirring up of mass hysteria around the call for
revenge. In other words, large sections of South African media have
taken advantage of this tragedy to sanitise public opinion in favour of
increased international military aggression. The Markinor survey is part
of this war frenzy.

Now is the time to debunk the myth that military action will secure the
lives and dignity of humanity. The SACP calls on South African media to
use this time to open up a rational, intelligent, balanced and
introspective debate on how we can all contribute to ensure world peace
in a more equitable world. The SACP also calls on South African media to
review the role it plays in building a just world peace by starting with
a reflection on how it covers the diversity of opinions in our country.

CONTACT
Mazibuko Kanyiso Jara (surname Jara)
Department of Media, Information and Publicity
South African Communist Party
Tel  - 011 339 3621 -  Fax  - 011 339 4244
Cell  - 083 651 0271 -  Email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website - www.sacp.org.za

*End*