Title: 'asylum seekers snatch squads', Kill again

-----Original Message-----
From: John O [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 29 November 2001 07:22
To: Recipient List Suppressed
Subject: 'asylum seekers snatch squads', Kill again

National Coalition of Anti-Deportation Campaigns (NCADC)
110 Hamstead  Road
Birmingham B20 2QS
Phone: 0121-554-6947  Fax:  0870-055-4570
E-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web site:  http://www.ncadc.org.uk/
===========================

'asylum seekers snatch squads', Kill again

On Sunday 25th November 2001 a 'immigration snatch squad', (two police officers and two immigration officials), raided a high rise flat in Streatham, south west London. Five people were in the third floor flat, one person fell to his death from the balcony, trying to escape.

Jenny Jones, Green Party member on the Greater London Assembly,  has called for a halt to the activities of the Immigration Service 'snatch squads' in London, and is urging the Government to review the high pressure targets it has imposed on the Service.

Jenny warned in September that an increase in such incidences and deaths was a possible consequence of the planned ten fold increase in the arrests of failed asylum seeker in London.
Jenny said: "I am saddened and shocked by this death. My condolences go out to his family. I'm sure that all of us on the Metropolitan Police Authority will want to know why such a terrible incident happened."

Jenny Jones believes "there should be an immediate halt to the operation of the asylum snatch squads in London and the Government should urgently review the targets it is imposing upon the Immigration Service. A ten fold increase in arrests of failed asylum seekers could mean more such deaths and incidents.

Back ground: snatch squads
http://www.ncadc.org.uk/letters/news24/snatch.html

Other balcony deaths:

27/4/94 Kwanele Eldah Siziba (27) Fell 150 feet to her death as she attempted to flee from what she believed to be immigration officials coming to deport her.

23/10/94 Joseph Nnalue (31) Died after falling from his second floor flat in Stockwell, South London, when police and immigration officials called to question him regarding his immigration status.
15/3/96 Noorjahan Begum (35) Died after falling 30 feet from the balcony of a flat in Stepney, east London. Two immigration officers called at the flat early on the morning of her death.