From: Barry Stoller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 10:02 AM
Subject: Report: Taliban surrender imminent
 ---------------------------
  Ananova; Reuters. 6 December 2001.
Kandahar surrender starts Friday,  says Zaeef;
Britain Cannot Confirm Omar to Surrender Kandahar.

 The former Taliban ambassador to Pakistan says Mullah Mohammed Omar has
 agreed to surrender Kandahar, starting tomorrow.

 Abdul Zaeef also said the Taliban is finished as a political movement.

 He also said newly-appointed Afghan leader Hamid Karzai had agreed to
 release all Taliban prisoners in Afghanistan and give them a free
 passage home.

 Zaeef said: "I think we (the Taliban) should go home."

 He said Omar had secured unspecified protection for himself.

 Zaeef said Omar's decision was in response to heavy US bombing of
 Kandahar, and was intended to prevent more civilian deaths.

 Previous deals to surrender Kandahar and other cities stalled over the
 issue of Arab, Pakistan and other foreign fighters loyal to alleged
 terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.

 Hundreds of al-Qaida fighters are believed in Kandahar, especially
 around the airport where they beat back assaults by tribal fighters
 under former Kandahar governor Gul Agha.

 The United States has made clear it would not support any deal which
 allowed bin Laden or his lieutenants to escape prosecution.

 Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has also insisted that Mullah Omar
 should not be allowed to go free.

 Britain said on Thursday that most senior Taliban figures in Kandahar
 wanted to surrender but could not confirm reports that Taliban supreme
 leader Mullah Mohammad Omar had decided to hand over the group's last
 stronghold.

 "We do not have independent verification of these reports but we do know
 that, for the past 24 hours in particular, virtually every senior person
 around Mullah Omar knows the game is up and wants to surrender," Prime
 Minister Tony Blair's official spokesman told Reuters.

 The Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) reported on Thursday that Mullah Omar had
 agreed to give up Kandahar to a former Mujahideen leader who is not
 currently aligned with any faction.

 "As the prime minister told cabinet this morning, the Taliban resistance
 is coming under pressure from inside and out," Blair's spokesman said.

 "If this (AIP) report is accurate, it is probably because he is aware
 desertions are going on around him ...ammunition is low and he now knows
 that he and the Taliban are a spent force."
  Barry Stoller
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews