Wednesday January 2 9:24 AM ET
International Team Inspects Afghan Capital
By Jeremy Page
KABUL, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A reconnaissance team
from 12 nations contributing to an international
security force in the war-torn Afghan capital began
inspecting the city Wednesday as British troops
prepared a base for the peace-keeping operation.
The 25-strong team from Germany, France, Spain, Italy,
the Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Greece, Sweden,
Norway, Finland and Romania met British troops at the
force's headquarters in a dilapidated former sports
club in the center of Kabul.
About 300 British troops have now moved into the base
to prepare for a U.N.-mandated International Security
Assistance Force (ISAF), under British General John
McColl, backing the interim government that replaced
the Taliban.
``Today marks the arrival of the multinational recce
party from all the troop-contributing nations that
intend to place forces into the International Security
Assistance Force,创 said British Colonel Richard
Barrons, chief of staff at the ISAF headquarters.
``They will spend the next two days or so traveling
around Kabul ... to understand the operation we intend
to run and to have a look at where their forces will
be based,创 he told reporters.
AGREEMENT INITIALLED
McColl and Afghan Interior Minister Yunis Qanuni
initialled an agreement Monday on deploying the ISAF,
which is expected to swell to about 4,500 troops in
the next few weeks and begin patrolling in
mid-January.
``There are clear language difficulties and very
significant cultural differences,创 said Barrons.
``We磖e going to have to work very hard to establish
the effective partnership we seek with the Afghan
authorities.创
The reconnaissance team will report its findings to
the 12 governments, which will review the ISAF
agreement before it is formally signed in a few days,
British officials said.
France will provide some 500 troops over the next two
or three weeks, mainly to protect Kabul's
international airport, said Colonel Jean Marc Marill
of the French marine infantry.
Germany had not yet decided how many troops it would
contribute, although parliament had approved up to
1,200 troops, said Colonel Reinhold Schmidt of the
German general staff.
``The exact number will depend on the facts we find
during this recce,创 he said.
Spain would contribute about 500 troops responsible
for logistics, support helicopters and de-mining among
other things, said Captain Andres Castan of the
Spanish army's logistic unit.
Italy would send about 350 soldiers starting from
January 8, said Colonel Giorgio Battisti of the
Italian general staff.
BRITISH PREPARE BASE
At the sports club, used as a military base under the
Taliban, British troops began laying out barbed wire
fences, setting up tents, repairing windows and
restoring electricity in a concrete building that will
be the ISAF headquarters.
Captain Gareth Moore of Britain's Royal Army Medical
Corps said the biggest challenge was maintaining basic
hygiene and preventing water and air-borne infections.
``There磗 no heating and all the windows are broken
out,创 he said. ``We aim to have hot water in about
three weeks.创
Squadron Leader Elizabeth Rowland of Britain's Royal
Air Force, the only woman officer on the base, said
she had faced no problems working in a city where
women were banned from work and forced to wear a burqa
for the last five years of Taliban rule.
``I was quite tentative at first as to whether I could
make my presence felt,创 she said, adding that she had
been wary of traveling in a car without a headscarf.
``I was pleasantly surprised that I could.创
``Now I磎 getting braver all the time, winding down
the window and talking to the locals.创
But for the moment, all troops would be confined to
the base even when off duty, British officials said.
``Clearly there is a threat here,创 said British
planning officer Major Rob Magowan. ``If there wasn磘
a threat, there would be no need for ISAF.
``But the make-up of the force is such that we have a
robust mandate to be able to cope with that kind of
threat in Kabul.创