 Rick,

I see it like this: it's become fashionable to oppose imperialism
perpetrated against 'third world people of colour'. It's Kind of like
saying: I'm progressive cause I listen to latin music, go to
multicultural fairs, donate money to charities, or attend
anti-globalization demonstrations. (Pardom the pun but) Things are
looked at in' black and white' terms. Imperialism per se and its  wider
implications for the world as a whole is either not understood or
ignored.