Title: Message

PROPOSED INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT CREEPS TOWARD RATIFICATION

Despite heavy U.S. opposition, the first permanent global criminal court is only four nations shy of becoming a reality, according to Reuters. ( http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020327/pl_nm/un_court_ratifications_dc_2

)

As of Wednesday, 139 countries have signed a 1998 treaty to establish the International Criminal Court and 56 of them have ratified it. A total of 60 ratifications by national legislatures is needed for the tribunal to be established.

"We're creeping very close to the 60 ratifications needed," U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard told reporters.

In "Reasonable Doubt: The Case Against the Proposed International Criminal Court," ( http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-311.html ) Foreign Policy Analyst Gary T. Dempsey explains that "the court threatens to diminish America's sovereignty, produce arbitrary and highly politicized 'justice,' and grow into a jurisdictional leviathan."