from
http://www.japantoday.com/
__________

A-bomb documents fetch record prices at Christie's

Thursday, March 28, 2002 at 17:00 JST

NEW YORK - Historical documents related to the U.S. atomic bombing of
the western Japan city of Hiroshima at the end of World War II were
sold at record prices at Christie's auction in New York on Wednesday.

  Among the items was Albert Einstein's famous letter dated Aug. 2,
1939, to then U.S. President Franklin D Roosevelt. It sold for a
record price of $1.9 million, or some 250 million yen.

  In it, Einstein wrote about the potential of a chain reaction using
uranium for the "construction of extremely powerful bombs."

  The letter precipitated the Manhattan Project, which eventually led
to the "Little Boy" mission of the Hiroshima bombing Aug 6, 1945.

  Einstein later regretted his role, and wrote in a letter in 1950 that
his only contribution was that letter to Roosevelt.

  Another historically significant document was a minute-by-minute
detailed personal account written by the co-pilot of the B-29 bomber
Enola Gay, which records the horrors of dropping the first atomic
bomb.

  Christie's called it the "only in-flight, firsthand account" of
Hiroshima bombing.

  Winning bidders for both documents were not identified since the
transactions were made by phone.

  The log of Capt Robert Lewis fetched $350,000 or about 46 million
yen. In it, he expressed his loss of words over what he and fellow
comrades saw as "the greatest explosion man has ever witnessed."

  "I honestly have the feeling of groping for words to explain this or
I might say My God what have we done," he wrote in the logbook.

  "For the next minute no one knew what to expect...15 seconds after
the flash there were two very distinct slaps (air turbulence) that
was all the physical effects we felt," Lewis wrote.

  He went on to describe nine-10ths of the city was "covered with
smoke," and a "column of white cloud, which in less than three
minutes reached 30,000 feet (about 9.1 kilometers) and then went up
to 50,000 (15 km)."

  "I am certain the entire crew felt this experience was more than
anyone human had ever thought possible. It just seems impossible to
comprehend. Just how many did we kill?" Lewis recounted, adding, "If
I live a hundred years I'll never quite get those few minutes out of
my mind."

(Compiled from wire reports)
____________________

Click the link below to view this article and related discussions on
Japan Today
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&id=208621

"We're all downwinders!" Check
out http://www.downwinders.org

=====
Lake Merritt Neighbors Organized for Peace.  Weekly peace walks around Lake Merritt in
Oakland.  Starts & ends at the colonnade between Grand & Lakeshore Avenues, 3 P.M.,
every Sunday.  Info:  (510)763-8712, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or http://www.webwm.com/LMNOP

http://movies.yahoo.com/