AFP. 28 March 2002. Plea for dialogue with US faces bitter
anti-Americanism in N Korea.

PYONGYANG -- While North Korea was this week being urged in a message
delivered by visiting Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri to
re-open dialogue with the United States, it is clear deep-rooted
anti-American feelings still grip the country.

Megawati, who arrived in North Korea on Thursday, is due to pass on
Seoul's urging that Pyongyang start talks again with both South Korea
and Washington, officials said.

However, real progress in ties with the United States will come up
against an attitude rooted in the foundations of the Stalinist state's
ideology -- America is the enemy -- which seems to have been reinforced
in recent months.

Foreign reporters taken on a rare tour of Pyongyang this week,
unconnected to Megawati's trip, were repeatedly told by locals that US
President George W. Bush's description of North Korea as part of the
"axis of evil" was considered a terrible slur.

"The development of friendly relations between the Democratic People's
Republic of Korea and the United States depends on the policy of the
United States authorities," said Pak Kwong-Suk, the guide at a Korean
War memorial in the capital city, using the country's full name.

"Recently the US has called the DPRK the 'axis of evil'," she said.

"When I heard this hostile policy towards my country, friendly relations
seem impossible. This is unreasonable and senseless."

While such attitudes are understandable -- perhaps even compulsory -- in
Pak's job, similar views can sometimes be glimpsed in far more everyday
levels of the deeply isolated North Korean society.

Reporters were shown late Thursday around Pyongyang's main Korean
traditional medicine hospital, with guides proudly showing off a
selected few gleamingly-equipped treatment rooms.

However, in a hospital corridor, large parts of one wall were taken up
with gruesome wartime photographs depicting severed heads, appallingly
burned bodies and the like.

An accompanying text spelled out that the United States was responsible
for the atrocities.

"In everything, at every moment, in all ways, we must follow education
against the US imperialists," read one slogan.

"The American imperialists are the sworn enemy of the Korean people.
Because of them, the Koreans cannot live under the same sky," another
added.

An official guide escorting reporters was asked if such displays were
normal.

"Of course, this is party policy," she replied, looking nonplussed at
the question.

"We are all very much angry about this unreasonable comment ['axis of
evil'] on our country," said retired naval Lieutenant Kim Jung-Rok, who
now guides visitors around the USS Pueblo, an American spy ship captured
34 years ago and moored in central Pyongyang's Taedon River as a museum
and anti-US "prize."

"We do not believe it is the American people but their authorities who
are blocking the way of reunification in our country and progress in
relations between the two countries," Kim said.

"Especially the Bush administration, it is very hostile to our country,"
he added.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews