Arafat hangs up in CNN interview when asked about U.S. criticism

Fri Mar 29 2002 19:00:11 ET

Palestinian leader Yassir Arafat, under pressure Friday as the Israeli
military stormed his headquarters in Ramallah, became angry during a
live telephone interview with CNN and hung up when he was asked about
the U.S. call for him to rein in Palestinian violence.

``Are you asking me, who is under a complete siege?'' he asked
correspondent Christiane Amanpour after her question about comments made
by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell.

``You have to be accurate when you are speaking to General Yassir
Arafat,'' he continued: ``Be quiet! You are covering the terrorist
occupation and the Israeli crimes. ... Thank you. Bye, bye.''

Before he hung up the telephone, Arafat said the Israeli army had
destroyed seven buildings around his office during a day that for him
was filled with arms fire.

``You have to understand that it's the Palestinian people who are
fighting this occupation, and I'm sure they will continue to,'' he said.
``This is the real terrorism - of the occupation.''

END

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm