From: John Clancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Africa: ;>
Cc: <news: ;>; <overflow: ;>; <blindmice: ;>; <Asia: ;>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 12:47 AM
Subject: Where Stalin has admirers and Maoists still fight on

from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
subject: Where Stalin has admirers and Maoists still fight on
>Washington Post / Where Stalin has admirers and Maoists still fight on
>Micha Odenheimer

>Where Stalin has admirers and Maoists still fight on
>The failure of democracy in Nepal has led to a rise in popular support
for rebels who have taken over much of the country
>Micha Odenheimer
>
>More than a decade after the collapse of Soviet and East European
 communism, and a quarter-century after China ended Mao Zedong's
Cultural  Revolution, the mere existence of a Maoist communist movement
should be a  strange anachronism.  Yet in Nepal Maoists not only exist,
but have been gradually seizing  control over more and more of the
mountainous nation of roughly 25 million  people, while killing
hundreds of government troops.

  Late last August I traveled to southeast Nepal and walked hours
through  the jungle into a revolutionary stronghold in the Sindhuli
district.  Sindhuli was then the 15th of Nepal's 75 districts to fall
to the Maoists.  The Maoists were set to celebrate their victory in
Sindhuli and, as I  walked deeper into the area, families were
streaming in from all over the  region to attend the festivities. Along
the way local peasants fed us for  free. We passed through victory
gates made of bent saplings adorned with  flowers, and waded waist-deep
to cross a river before emerging onto a  grassy plain, which quickly
filled up with almost 10,000 people. I spotted  a platoon of the Nepali
Maoists' People's Army: about 60 young people in  fatigues carrying
ancient rifles. Children trailed after the soldiers as  if they were
rock stars.

  At the far end of the plain was a schoolhouse with a porch that
would  serve as a dais, and a dilapidated megaphone for a sound system.
The dais  was decorated with paper stream ers, confetti and watercolor
portraits of  the movement's heroes: Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels,
Vladimir Lenin,  Joseph Stalin and Mao.  "Stalin?" I asked my guide,
shocked to see the former Soviet dictator  included in the pantheon.
"Don't your friends know that he murdered 20  million people?" "Our
leaders say Stalin was 75 percent good and 25  percent bad," came the
answer. "They know he wasn't completely good."  In the Western world,
which claims to care about both democracy and  terrorism, Nepal's fight
is one worth noticing. Six months since my visit  to the Maoists, Nepal
is mired even deeper in a bloody civil war that has  taken 2,600 lives
since 1996, and threatens to destroy a decade-long  experiment with
democracy.

  On February 17 thousands of members of the People's Army crept down
from  the mountains at midnight and surrounded an army garrison in
western  Nepal. By morning, 137 soldiers had been slaughtered. A few
days later in  eastern Nepal the Maoists struck again, killing 30
policemen. The army has  fought back hard, regaining control of some
district headquarters,  slaughtering hundreds of Maoists, and driving
the rebels into the rough  interior of the country.

  The Maoists have targeted civilians, too. In January - according to
Amnesty International - they abducted an acting school headmaster,
tied  him to a tree and shot him to death apparently because of his
affiliation  with a ruling party association and his refusal to give
"donations" to the  Maoists. He was one of 28 teachers killed by the
insurgents.  People aren't the only casualties of the battle.
Democratic institutions  have also suffered. Since the government
declared a state of emergency in  November, police in the capital,
Katmandu, have arrested an estimated  4,000 journalists, students,
teachers and political activists. Subodh  Pyakarel, general secretary
of a respected Nepali human rights  organization, says that many of
those arrested have been tortured.

  Nonetheless, the rebels continue to exert an impressive degree of
control  over the population - even in Katmandu. During February and
March, the  Maoists called a series of strikes, including a general
strike that  paralyzed the city for three days.  What's astonishing
about the Maoist revolution in Nepal is that it exists  at all. Like
seeing a movie monster rise after his apparent death,  watching Maoist
rebels gain ground anywhere in the 21st century defies  belief. Twelve
years ago, Nepal became a multi-party democracy, ending  years of
monarchic dictatorship. Why have the Maoists become a major  threat
just as democracy has begun to flourish?

   From the outside the crisis in the Nepalese royal family would seem
to   bear much of the blame. Last June Crown Prince Dipendra, drunk
and   enraged over his parents' intervention in his choice of bride,
was said   to have killed his father, the king; his mother, the queen;
and seven   other members of the royal family before committing
suicide. Though   eyewitnesses said Dipendra did it, many Nepalese are
convinced that his   uncle, the new king, Gyanendra, planned the
massacre.  But the massacre alone is not to blame for the loss of faith
in the  government. The Maoist rise has been slow and steady since the
"people's  war" began. What I discovered from talking to average
Nepalese was that  the rebels' success emanated from their ability to
harness the invisible  strength of the weak and powerless - a very
large group in one of the  world's poorest countries.

  Eighty-five percent of Nepal earns its living from agriculture, but
about  one-third of Nepal's farmers are sharecroppers, who barely
survive while  working their landlord's farm. Many other Nepalese own
plots of land too  small to support their families. Millions of Nepali
men must travel to  India to work. Life expectancy is 57, but low-caste
and landless Nepalese  on average live nearly a decade less. Nepal is
the only country in the  world where women have a lower life expectancy
than men - which is due, at  least in part, to the fact that a high
percentage of women die during  childbirth.

  Multi-party democracy, which was greeted with exuberant hope by
Nepalese  in 1990, tragically failed to address the consequences of
poverty.  Political infighting and corruption are partly to blame.
The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund often made
economic  conditions worse for poor Nepalese. Heeding advice from the
bank and the  IMF, the Nepali government cut state subsidies, including
those that  helped farmers buy fertilizer and seeds. The country's
education and  health systems were privatized to the point that most
Nepalese cannot  afford to send their children to school or take them
to the doctor when  they are sick. Meanwhile, the World Bank supported
huge hydroelectric and  other massive infrastructure projects that
brought windfalls to  international companies and corrupt Nepali
officials, while utility costs  for the average Nepali continued to
rise.

  The Maoists have been playing the role of Robin Hood. Tenant farmers
told  me that they had been freed from the grip of their landlords
after a few  well-placed Maoist threats. Maoists have swooped down on
agriculture banks  and recaptured the land deeds that had been put up
for collateral by poor  farmers who had taken development loans that
they couldn't repay. The  Maoists set up people's courts where disputes
were tried without fees or  bribes. Women used the people's courts to
successfully prosecute cases of  wife beating and rape. Agents who
enticed village girls to India and then  sold them as prostitutes in
Bombay were caught and punished.

 Previously  they often escaped by giving a cut of their profits to
officials. "In my  village, people have stopped going to the police and
the courts with  problems," more than   one Nepali told me. "Now they
go to the Maoists."  The popularity of the Maoists makes their
revolutionary theories that much  more disturbing. They seemed to have
learned nothing from recent history.  Most of the poor to whom the
Maoists have given a measure of misplaced  hope don't know anything
about Maoist ideology - its disdain for religion,  for example, or its
history of cataclysmic purges. They only know that  multi-party
democracy has so far been synonymous with an abandonment of  the kind
of social solidarity on which their lives depend.

  The Maoist revolution in Nepal may seem like an insignificant
conflict in  a faraway place. But it has something to teach us. Two
billion of the  world's people live in conditions roughly analogous to
those of most  Nepalese. Many of these people are also experiencing
unbearable hardships  at least partly associated with economic policies
imported from the West.  Western democracy's victory over communist
totalitarianism was only a  respite. Struggles still loom - whether
with communism, fundamentalism or  ideologies that haven't yet been
named.

  A democracy that goes to sleep on  the job of ensuring the welfare of
its people will breed strange monsters. >