Letter to Daily Grist re. article about environmentalists in Kosovo

<http://www.gristmagazine.com/letters/letters042902.asp?source=daily>

                      Re. Sharri Baby, Daily Grist

                      Dear Editor:

                      Thanks for pointing me to the article on Kosovo foes
uniting over environmental concerns, by Alfred Hermida. It is certainly
encouraging to hear that Albanians and Serbians are working
together peacefully on this project, and that they are doing
something to help the environment.

                      My only complaint is that Hermida makes no mention of
the tremendous environmental damage caused by the NATO
bombing campaign through the bombing of chemical factories and the use of
radioactive depleted uranium. It is estimated that up to 5,000 civilians in
Yugoslavia were killed during the 78-day NATO bombing, and the environmental
effects of the depleted uranium will certainly be felt for many generations
to come.

                      Hermida implies that all the environmental damage was
caused by ethnic conflict. I'm sure that ethnic fighting did cause
environmental damage, but the U.S. and NATO, with their
high-tech weapons of mass destruction, are capable of causing
much more devastating, far-reaching, and long-lasting damage.

                      Any serious attempt to clean up the environment in
Yugoslavia should include filing lawsuits against the NATO countries that
participated in the bombing to require them to provide money and resources
to clean up the damage they caused and to
compensate the victims.

                      Nancy A. Hey
                      Bethesda, Md.

Internet unites Kosovo foes

              Environmentalists are concerned about pollution

              By Alfred Hermida
              BBC News Online technology staff

              Albanians and Serbians are putting ethnic
              enmities behind them and coming together in
              cyberspace to protect the environment in
              Kosovo.

              Environmental groups in the region have taken
              the first tentative steps towards setting up an
              electronic network to share resources and
              information.

              Activists say that years of conflict in the
              region have taken their toll on the environment
              in Kosovo, with polluted rivers, areas stripped
              of their forests and the capital, Pristina,
              blanketed in thick smog.

              They hope to use the internet to highlight the
              problems and enable Albanian and Serb
              activists to work together.

              "It's sort of a success for a multi-ethnic
              Kosovo," said Blerim Vela of the Regional
              Environmental Center for Central and Eastern
              Europe in Pristina, which is co-ordinating the
              scheme.

              "Most of the people
              don't know there is an
              environmental problem.

              "So we decided there
              was a need for an
              electronic network so
              that they can
              disseminate information about the
              environmental problems."

              The network, called Sharri.Net, was set up in
              February and the organisers aim to have the
              website up and running by June.

              'Serbian courage'

              Getting Albanians and Serbs to join forces was
              not easy. The two sides had to overcome
              years of fear and mistrust.

              The first step was
              persuading Serbian
              environmentalists to
              take part in a
              workshop in Pristina
              last January.

              It was the first time in
              three years that a
              non-governmental
              group from the
              northern Serb enclave
              went to the Kosovan
              capital.

              "We were a bit concerned about how people
              would react," admitted Mr Vela.

              "We were afraid that some groups might not
              want to work with them. But they thanked the
              Serbian non-governmental organisation which
              showed the courage to come here."

              Overcoming ethnic differences is only the first
              hurdle in setting up an electronic network in
              Kosovo.

              The region has been devastated by years of
              violence, ethnic cleansing and guerrilla
              warfare. Since the end of the fighting, the
              international community has been investing
              time and money in rebuilding Kosovo.

              "The reconstruction process is causing the
              problems," said Blerim Vela. "A lot of money is
              put on reconstruction, but not on
              environmental issues.

              "But now things are starting to change and
              major international donors are giving more
              money to environmental issues."

              Getting connected

              Funding for the electronic network is coming
              from the Norwegian Ministry of Environment
              and Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

              At the heart of the
              proposed electronic
              network will be a
              dedicated office in
              Pristina, available to all
              environmental groups.
              They will have four
              computers, connected
              to the internet

              The facility will also
              offer free advice on
              setting up computer
              networks and
              publishing on the web
              once a week.

              The aim is to help groups in Kosovo get online
              by providing them with second-hand
              computers, donated by a private Dutch
              company.

              In the past, there was only one internet
              service provider, (ISP), in Yugoslavia, and few
              Albanians in Kosovo were online.

              "Now we have four ISPs, which provide very
              high quality services," said Mr Vela. "People are
              now using those services and developing
              websites."