Build the World People’s Resistance Movement!

By the Provisional Organising Committee, World People’s Resistance Movement

     The people of the whole world are confronted with a global challenge by a dangerous enemy aiming to solidify and expand a world-wide empire. This enemy has declared its right to use military force to intervene anywhere and everywhere, to destroy peoples and their lands, to slander the people’s struggles as “terrorist” in order to legitimise snuffing out any resistance to their vicious military, political and economic order. They have proclaimed their “right” to replace regimes at will. But even when they attack the most despicable of tyrants (most of whom they themselves have created and fed), the ultimate victim and target is not these tyrants but the peoples themselves. The previous smokescreen of human rights and democracy has been largely replaced with the naked gangster logic of national self-interest and the resurrection of the “white man’s burden” of nineteenth century colonialism and holy wars pitting Christianity (or the “Judeo-Christian tradition”) against the “heathens”. And this reactionary crusade carried out in the name of the “war on terrorism” is backed by the most powerful weapons of terror and mass destruction that have ever existed on earth.

     The progressive forces in every country are confronted with a great challenge. The chieftain-in-crime has said people are either “with us or against us”. Long before 11 September the injustice of the world order, in which a relative handful live off the labour and misery of the world’s peoples, was screaming out for resistance. Millions were already in motion and the need for world-wide unity was already apparent. Now it is all the more clear that the road to social progress and liberation cannot side-step a direct confrontation with the US-led machine.

     It is the urgent duty of all progressive forces to dare to resist and unite against this common enemy of the world’s people, whose name is imperialism.

     When the masters openly praise the virtues of torture, it is a green light for every despotic regime in the world to use it freely. When the imperialists declare that there are no national frontiers that they need to respect, the people, too, are required to unite their forces across national lines. Powerful movements against the global institutions of the wealthy states calling the shots, bring together demonstrators from many backgrounds and countries. The actions of even a relative few reverberate throughout the empire, and the blows struck in distant corners strengthen the resolve of those fighting in the belly of the beast itself. The courageous stand taken by prominent writers and artists in one country inspire counterparts the world over. The protectors of a vicious system want a global struggle – so be it!

     We can never allow our foes to determine which struggle is legitimate and which is not. All struggles against imperialism and reaction must be supported, including those where the oppressed and exploited have taken up arms against the enforcers of the old order. We can never accept that the biggest criminals on earth can burn down whole cities, whilst the people are forbidden to light candles.

     The World People’s Resistance Movement (WPRM) is being formed to help the struggles all over the globe flow together into a mighty torrent. The WPRM provides an international vehicle to promote and facilitate the world-wide unity against our common foe. Today’s focus must be opposing the imperialist crusade carried out under the slogan of the “war on terrorism”.

     The WPRM does not seek to supplant or compete with any other people’s organisation on a national or international level. All those on the same side of the barricades are welcome. Help form branches of the WPRM in every country with individuals, circles, associations and political parties. North and south, east and west, unite the people’s struggles!

Our first action will be in support of the Palestinian people who have been amongst the foremost targets of this ugly war on terrorism by the US and Israel, its attack dog in the Middle East. The Palestinian’s courageous frontline resistance is giving heart to people all over the world. We call on all who can to demonstrate against George Bush’s visit to Berlin on 22-23 May. We are also calling for demonstrations in many countries of the world on Saturday June 15.

Contact the Provisional Organising Committee of the WPRM by email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalised at My Yahoo!.