MPs to investigate four army deaths

Nick Hopkins, crime correspondent
Thursday July 4, 2002
The Guardian

MPs yesterday took the unusual step of launching their own investigation into the deaths of four soldiers at the army's Royal Logistics Corps headquarters at Deepcut, Surrey.

The chairman of the Commons defence committee, Bruce George, will tell Surrey police, which is reinvestigating the shooting of one of the soldiers, Private Geoff Gray, that it intends to begin its independent inquiry as soon as detectives have concluded their work.

The committee, which normally confines itself to matters of policy and Ministry of Defence expenditure, could recommend a public inquiry.

Concern over the circumstances surrounding the death of Pte Gray, 17, and three other soldiers, has been mounting in recent months with the families of the victims maintaining that the army has been involved in a cover-up.

Private Gray died from two gunshot wounds to the head - either would have killed him - during guard duty at the barracks last September. His body was found near the perimeter fence at least 50 minutes after shots were fired at a spot that had already been searched four times by a team of soldiers. A witness saw a man running away from the scene, but the MoD told Private Gray's family that their son had committed suicide.

At an inquest in March, the coroner, Michael Burgess, recorded an open verdict and said: "I do not find that he took his own life."

Since then Surrey police has started reinvestigating Gray's death, and three other families have come forward with claim of mysterious "suicides" at the base in the last seven years.

In June 1995, Private Sean Benton, 20, died from five gunshot wounds to the chest. Five months later, the body of Private Cheryl James, 18, was discovered in woodland 90ft outside the garrison perimeter. Private James Collinson, 17, died on March 23 this year from a single gunshot wound to the head just hours after seeing his parents. Three of the four bodies were found in the officers' com pound to which access is tightly controlled.

The defence committee agreed yesterday to investigate the circumstances of the deaths, and issues relating to training for new recruits. It will also consider allegations of drug abuse and bullying at the barracks.

Mike Hancock, a Liberal Democrat committee member, said the inquiry would be robust: "We will visit the camp and encourage soldiers and witnesses to come forward to give evidence to us. We want to get to the bottom of what has been going on at Deepcut."

Mr Hancock said that if army claims that some of the soldiers may have had psychological problems were true, then it raised important questions relating to why the soldiers were being allowed on duty with live ammunition.

Private Gray's father, who is also called Geoff, welcomed the committee's decision: "It's important that MPs have a chance to talk to people and draw their own conclusions. We want a public inquiry and this investigation adds pressure to our campaign."

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2002