U.S. Applauds War Crimes Guilty Plea

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - The United States on Thursday applauded the guilty plea of a Bosnian Serb political leader indicted for war crimes, and called on others wanted for war crimes to surrender themselves for trial.

The guilty plea by Biljana Plavsic should serve as an example for former Yugoslav officials to ``examine themselves'' and ``accept their responsibility,'' said State Department spokesman Richard Boucher. He referred specifically to military commander Gen. Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic, to whom Plavsic was closely associated.

Plavsic pleaded guilty to one count of crimes against humanity. Prosecutors at the U.N. war crimes tribunal dropped seven other charges, including genocide.

``We hope that her important step in expressing full and unconditional remorse for the harm that was done to innocent victims of the conflict will contribute to the reconciliation process in the region,'' Boucher said.

The United States will continue its pursuit of Mladic, Karadzic and other fugitives being sought by the international tribunal for Yugoslavia, Boucher said. ``We haven't succeeded yet, but the operative word is 'yet.' We intend to get them,'' Boucher said.

Twenty-three people are wanted by the tribunal for war crimes, and 26 are in pretrial proceedings, Boucher said. Twelve are currently on trial. The court has convicted 28 people, six of whom pleaded guilty, and acquitted five. Charges against 17 people were dismissed or withdrawn.

``They continue to add to the totals, and they get closer and closer to bringing to justice all of the people who need to be brought to justice,'' Boucher said.

10/03/02 15:54 EDT