>From :  United Poultry Concerns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject :  Teacher Brutally Hatchets Helpless Bird to Death Before Young
Students
Date :  Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

U N I T E D   P O U L T R Y   C O N C E R N S  [UPC] E-mail list
UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS * PO Box 150 * Machipongo, VA 23405
757-678-7875 * Fax:757-678-5070 * http://www.UPC-online.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Karen Davis 757-678-7875
October 4, 2002

                         Teacher Brutally Hatchets Helpless Bird to
Death
Before Young Students

                         Teacher Compares Hatchet Killing to Use of
"Screwdriver and Hammer"

                         Machipongo, VA - Washington Island School
District
administrators should adopt an immediate written policy banning the
instructional killing of birds and other animals. The Wisconsin teacher
who
killed a chicken on school property on September 20 crassly compared
this
bird to a "thing," and the hatchet he used to kill her with he referred
as a tool "in the sense of a screwdriver or a hammer."

                         An October 2 article in the Green Bay
Press-Gazette
(Wisconsin) shows the extent to which Washington Island school
administrators and the teacher, Steve Waldron, are manipulating language
insulate students (and themselves) from the reality of this cruel and
unnecessary schoolyard killing. It's absurd to assert, as the School
Board
president does, that this teacher "deals with life and death in a most
respectful manner." Mr. Waldron didn't "deal with" death-HE DEALT OUT
DEATH
and seeks to hide his deed in a blather of platitudes and euphemisms.

                         Parents and others who objected to the
schoolyard
killing of an animal might want to use the episode to reflect on why a
killing they consider unsuitable to be seen is okay to commit behind the

closed doors of a slaughterhouse. In some Asian cultures, dogs are
killed
for food. Should students be given "diversity" lessons in how other
cultures
kill animals whom most Americans regard as family companions?

                         Chickens experience pain, terror, and suffering
the
same as mammals. Avian physiologist Dr. Lesley J. Rogers points out that

"the assumption that birds, including chickens, are not as highly
evolved as
mammals is incorrect."

                         "If we wonder where so much of our violence and

callous disregard for life comes from, we need to look at the classroom
as
well as the hypocrisy we are passing on to our children," Dr. Karen
Davis,
President of United Poultry Concerns, insists. "The idea that slaughter
is
'necessary' and 'respectful' is ridiculous, and
slaughtering a chicken in front of students is not the same kind of
demonstration as showing them how a baby is born."

                         United Poultry Concerns is a nonprofit
organization
that promotes the compassionate and respectful treatment of domestic
fowl.
For more information, visit http://www.UPC-online.org