1) Report: War Against Iraq To Start Om March 13;
French President To Be Next Target
2) US Congress Plans (Economic) War Against France

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_203299,00130018.htm

The Hindustan Times
March 4, 2003

Iraq war may start on Mar 13: Report
Press Trust of India
London, March 3

-"One of the first casualties of the conflict - apart
from Saddam - is likely to be French President Jacques
Chirac" who is against war on Iraq, the paper said.
It said US President George W Bush telephoned Chirac
last week and told him that "we will not forgive and
we will not forget."

A US-led war against Iraq could start as soon as March
13, just hours after a crucial UN Security Council
vote on Baghdad, a media report said on Monday.

"The moment we know we have the nine (UN Security
Council) votes needed (for a military action against
Iraq), we will go for it. The military won't hang
around after that," a top US intelligence source was
quoted as saying by Britain's Sun newspaper.

"The timing is tactical," the unnamed intelligence
source said.

A new Iraq resolution is expected to be put to vote in
UN Security Council on March 12, following this
Friday's report by UN Chief UN Weapons Inspector Hans
Blix on Iraq.

The paper also reported that allied commander warned
Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein last night that the war
"will be soon, it will be swift and it will be short."

It said Saddam's palaces and other known hiding places
will be targeted, and ground troops will go in as soon
as possible after the "bomb blitz."

"One of the first casualties of the conflict - apart
from Saddam - is likely to be French President Jacques
Chirac" who is against war on Iraq, the paper said.

It said US President George W Bush telephoned Chirac
last week and told him that "we will not forgive and
we will not forget."

Both France and US are the permanent members of the
15-member UN Security Council. The other three
permanent members are Russia, China and Britain.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1045511291877&p=1012571727166

Financial Times
March 3, 2003

Congress considers measures against France
By Deborah McGregor

-His comments reflect a growing resentment in Congress
that may yet result in punitive legislation, directed
mainly at France but also extending to other European
countries, including Germany.

Dennis Hastert, the Republican Speaker of the House of
Representatives, has a reputation for being a calming
presence among his highly strung troops. The former
high-school wrestling coach is inclined to throw a
burly arm around an irate colleague, counselling
patience rather than revolution.

But recently Mr Hastert has surprised many of his
fellow Republicans with outbursts of frustration, both
privately and publicly, against an unlikely target:
France.

At a recent closed-door gathering of House
Republicans, he launched into an impassioned tirade
against France that was greeted with resounding
approval from the party rank and file.

The most high-profile public outburst came in an
interview Mr Hastert gave recently to his hometown
newspaper, the Chicago Tribune. He urged "going
nose-to-nose" with Paris over its vocal opposition to
US war plans for Iraq. Denouncing French
"obstreperousness", he slammed the European nation for
being motivated by commercial interests in Iraqi oil
production and for trying to use diplomatic tensions
at the United Nations to increase its international
influence.

His comments reflect a growing resentment in Congress
that may yet result in punitive legislation, directed
mainly at France but also extending to other European
countries, including Germany.

Several Republicans have echoed Mr Hastert's
sentiment, including Senator John McCain, who recently
compared France to a fading beauty.

"They remind me of an ageing movie actress in the
1940s who's still trying to dine out on her looks,"
said Mr McCain. "The cynical role France is playing
proves that you cannot be a great nation unless you
have great purpose, and they've lost their purpose."

Reflecting the toughening attitude, Bill Thomas, the
powerful Republican chairman of the House ways and
means committee, has already suggested that if the EU
does not substantially reform its agricultural policy
the Congress may vote to leave the World Trade
Organisation. Congress is due to vote on renewing the
US's WTO membership in 2005.

Mr Hastert has cited a list of trade-related
grievances against France and recommended putting
bright orange health warning labels on some imported
French wines. He is preparing legislation that would
require warnings that the wine may contain cow's
blood, a traditional agent used to remove excess
tannins from red wine that was banned by the European
Union in 1998 because of concerns about mad cow
disease.

"I think it's a health issue that we ought to at least
let people know this product has been manufactured
with raw bovine blood," the congressman said.

Some of the complaints reflect the economic interests
of his home state of Illinois, where farmers have long
objected to the EU's restrictive farm policies. Boeing
and Caterpillar, both based in Illinois, are two of
the biggest beneficiaries of a tax credit that the EU
has challenged through the WTO.

But more broadly, Mr Hastert's complaints represent a
visceral anger at France - unfairly or not - shared by
a growing number of lawmakers.

At the weekend Lindsey Graham, a Republican senator
from South Carolina, launched a blistering attack on
Paris's Iraq position, suggesting that the French were
"appeasers".

John Warner, the chairman of the Senate armed services
committee, also castigated France in unusually harsh
terms.

In a weekend interview on ABC television, Mr Warner
recalled that his father fought in the first world war
as a young doctor. "I proudly have on the wall in my
Senate office the French government's Croix de Guerre
given to him. I thought about taking it down.

"But then I said to myself 'no'. The longer picture is
France and the United States must remain leaders in
the world. And this is, I hope, just a temporary
problem."

Some Democrats, too, have joined the chorus. "France
and Germany are important allies of America - but, in
this case, the tone and volume of their dissent is in
danger of drowning out the voice of a nearly united
Europe," said Joseph Lieberman, the Democratic senator
and presidential contender.

How lasting the rift in relations proves to be will
depend, in large part, on how the Iraq crisis plays
out. Dominique de Villepin, the French foreign
minister, has repeatedly tried to draw a distinction
between France's opposition to the US instinct for war
against Saddam Hussein and the enduring ties between
the two countries.

"We thank every day the support that the Americans
gave us during the first [world] war and the second
war," he said. "But we know closely what war is. And
we are asking ourselves: is this war worth it?"

http://taxes.yahoo.com/