AP. 15 March 2003. Thousands rally in Austin to protest possible war.

AUSTIN -- Thousands of anti-war protesters descended on the State
Capitol today to condemn the Bush administration's position on possible
war with Iraq while also expressing solidarity with U.S. troops and
veterans.

Protesters including U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, political satirist
Molly Ivins and counterculturist Wavy Gravy addressed the crowd in a
series of speeches that went beyond anti-war rhetoric to bolster the
protesters' sense of patriotism.

"We're being told that you can either be a patriot and support the
president or you can be anti-American, and that is a lie," said Louis
Malfaro, the event's master of ceremonies and a member of the Austin
Central Labor Union.

It was the second major protest on the Capitol's south lawn in a month.
The crowd appeared comparable to that at a Feb. 15 protest, which police
estimated at 8,000 to 10,000 people.

Keala Carr, 29, handed out blue ribbons for a campaign by the Austin
Against War group, one of the rally's organizers.

"The blue ribbon campaign is a way for you to show your support for the
troops by wanting them to come home," said Carr, a legal secretary from
Austin.

Robert Arjet, a 36-year-old Web designer from Austin, handed out bags of
uncooked rice for people to send to the White House with a label
reading, "Rice for peace. No war on Iraq."

"It just seems so obvious that we should be helping people rather than
hurting them," he said. "If we keep using violence, we will keep getting
violence in return."

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org