http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20030317/od_uk_nm/oukoe_iraq_france_pope

Oddly Enough - UK Reuters
Mon Mar 17, 2003

Pope urged to become Iraq human shield

PARIS (Reuters) - The only way left to avoid war in Iraq is for Pope
John Paul to rush to Baghdad to be "the protector of humanity's
values," a French parliamentary deputy says.

Didier Julia, a maverick conservative who has visited Iraq twice in the
past six months, noted the pope would be a suitable "human shield"
because he has spoken out forcefully against war.

"Right now, only one thing seems useful to me now, and that's that the
pope goes at the last minute to block aggression against Iraq," he told
France's i-television on Monday.

"I would really like the pope to serve as the protector of humanity's
values," he said.

The pope issued a passionate plea for peace on Sunday, saying he had
lived through World War Two and felt obliged to tell the world: "Never
again war."

Julia, a member of the centre-right UMP party of France's anti-war
President Jacques Chirac, said he visited Iraq to try to help protect
Iraq's many archaeological treasures, which he said could be looted
during and after a war.

"There won't be only a war against people, there will be the looting of
the whole country," he said. "Underground groups of looters are already
getting ready."
http://news.yahoo.com

=====
LMNOP