http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=111374§ionid=351020403

Press TV
November 15, 2009

Clinton: US after own interests in Afghanistan

-US media reported in October that Karzai's brother has been a CIA operative in
Afghanistan as well as a major drug pusher in the country that finances the
Taliban insurgency. He was also reported to have ties with the Taliban
leadership.
Karzai himself lived and received education in the US for many years and was
widely reported to be the US man in Afghanistan.
-US and NATO commander Stanley McChrystal has warned that the war could be lost
unless 40,000 more troops are sent to the war-ravaged country.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has claimed that the US mission was to
eradicate Al-Qaeda militants and not to establish a modern democracy in
Afghanistan.

Clinton criticized the policies of the former president George W. Bush in
Afghanistan in an interview with ABC News on Sunday.

"This is not the prior days when people would come on your show and talk about
how we were going to help the Afghans build a modern democracy and build a more
functioning state and do all these wonderful things," she asserted.

Bush administration had pledged to spread democracy in Afghanistan following
the 2001 ouster of the Taliban militants by a US-led invasion.

Clinton emphasized that Washington was pursuing its own interests in the
war-torn country where insecurity and poverty has escalated drastically over
the past few years.

"Our primary focus is on the security of the United States of America” and “how
we protect and defend against future attacks,” she reiterated.

Clinton also criticized Afghan President Hamid Karzai over alleged corruption
in his administration.

"There does have to be actions by the government of Afghanistan against those
who have taken advantage of the money that has poured into Afghanistan in the
last eight years so that we can better track it and we can have actions taken
that demonstrate there's no impunity for those who are corrupt," she demanded.

However, US media reported in October that Karzai's brother has been a CIA
operative in Afghanistan as well as a major drug pusher in the country that
finances the Taliban insurgency. He was also reported to have ties with the
Taliban leadership.

Karzai himself lived and received education in the US for many years and was
widely reported to be the US man in Afghanistan.

Also, differences have also emerged between key US figures on handling of
controversial war in Afghanistan.

US Ambassador to Kabul Karl Eikenberry have recently expressed serious
reservations about sending more troops to Afghanistan until Karzai's government
comes to grips with the alleged corruption.

Meanwhile, US and NATO commander Stanley McChrystal has warned that the war
could be lost unless 40,000 more troops are sent to the war-ravaged country.

The US President Barack Obama is not expected to announce a final decision on
the matter for several weeks.