http://www.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=21956

Civil Georgia
February 5, 2010

Holbrooke to Visit Georgia

Tbilisi: U.S. special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke,
will be in Tbilisi “shortly” to discuss Georgia’s cooperation with and
contribution to NATO-led forces in Afghanistan, James Steinberg, the U.S.
deputy secretary of state, said in Tbilisi on February 5.

Speaking with journalists before his departure from Georgia, Steinberg said
that during his meeting with President Saakashvili, the latter “mentioned” his
offer to the United States to use the Georgian territory for armaments supply
route to Afghanistan.

“I indicated him that it really was something that needed to be discussed with
the Pentagon… and encouraged him to talk with relevant people in Pentagon,”
Steinberg said.

It was reported late last month that the U.S. Department of Defense was aware
of the Georgian President’s offer, but had not yet substantially explored it.

Steinberg also said the U.S. was grateful for Georgia’s commitment to support
operations in Afghanistan. Georgia sent a company-size unit to Afghanistan to
contribute NATO-led forces and in addition it plans to send a battalion-size
force this spring.

During his brief stay in Tbilisi, the U.S. Deputy Secretary of State met with
four opposition leaders and President Saakashvili on February 5, before leaving
for Germany to participate in the Munich security conference.

“I was particularly pleased to come at this time, when we are now able to
complete our promise and commitment of USD 1 billion assistance to
Georgia....We are now in the position to move forward the last tranche of that
commitment,” he said.
“We have a strong commitment to Georgia’s future as sovereign, independent and
democratic state,” Steinberg said.

Steinberg, who arrived in Tbilisi from Yerevan, also said that he had discussed
regional security issues with the Georgian President. He was accompanied by
Philip Gordon, assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs.