Does this only happen under heavy load?  You might be able to adjust
your init.tcl to handle more connections. I'm not sure what you would
need to change so I pulled out any config that might help.

-Tony

ns_section "ns/parameters"
ns_param listenbacklog        32        ;# Max length of pending conn queue

# keepalivetimeout
# In prior versions of AOLserver this may have been under
# ns/servers/$server.  Set to 0 to disable Keep-alive support, any other
# value will enable Keep-alive but won't actually configure the timeout,
# which is now configured under the driver.
# (http://aolserver.am.net/docs/tuning.adpx)
ns_param keepalivetimeout    30        ;# Max time conn is kept alive
(keepalive)

# maxkeepalive
# In prior versions of AOLserver this may have been under
# ns/servers/$server.  In AOLserver 4.0 and newer, this setting exists
# but appears to be non-operational
# (http://aolserver.am.net/docs/tuning.adpx)
ns_param maxkeepalive        100        ;# Max no. of conns in keepalive
state

ns_section "ns/server/${server_name}"
ns_limits set default -maxrun 500        ;# the maximum number of
connections which can be running simultaneously

### Tuning Options ###
ns_param connsperthread        0        ;# Normally there's one conn per
thread
#ns_param flushcontent        false        ;# Flush all data before
returning
ns_param maxconnections        100        ;# Max connections per
connection thread before it is shut down
#ns_param maxdropped        0        ;# Shut down if dropping too many conns
ns_param maxthreads        20        ;# Tune this to scale your server
ns_param minthreads        0        ;# Tune this to scale your server
ns_param threadtimeout        120        ;# Idle timeout for connection
threads
ns_param spread            20        ;# Variance factor for
threadtimeout and maxconnections to prevent mass mortality of theads
(e.g. +-20%)

ns_section "ns/server/${server_name}/module/nssock"
ns_param Address        $address
ns_param Hostname        $host
ns_param Port            $port
ns_param maxsock        500
ns_param keepwait        30        ;# number of seconds to hang-up on
clients while waiting for connection
ns_param socktimeout    30        ;# number of seconds to wait for a
client request. increase for file upload
ns_param maxinput        1MB    ;# maximum size of data sent from browser
ns_param maxline        16k        ;# maximum number of bytes for http
request or header line.
ns_param maxheader        64k        ;# maximum number of bytes for all
HTTP header lines in a request

# Thread library (nsthread) parameters
#
# If the server is crashing with no explanation you may have a corrupted
# data due to a stack overflow.  Calculate locally declared data types
# and function parameters to get the stack size needed.
ns_section "ns/threads"
#ns_param mutexmeter        true        ;# measure lock contention
#ns_param stacksize        [expr 128*1024] ;# stack size per thread (in
bytes)