Thank you once again for your swift response!

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 2:33:59 PM UTC+8, Gustaf Neumann wrote:

>  Am 20.03.15 um 05:47 schrieb Sep Ng:
>
> Hi Gustaf!  Thank you for the informative response!
>
>  I've been thinking of moving to NaviServer but I don't know enough about
> the transition to make that call yet.  Right now, we're on aolserver and
> so, I'm trying to see what I can do on this platform.  I do not understand
> why the delivery doesn't work on https out of the box and requires a
> reverse proxy.
>
> bgdelivery takes the socket (file descriptor) of the current connection,
> but it has no knowledge about SSL. When it hands the file descriptor to the
> background delivery thread, this can write back to the client just using
> plain tcl i/o. So, background delivery can certainly write to the
> file-descriptor, but that won't be accepted by the client trying to decrypt
> the channel.

I think that is now making more sense now.  Thanks.  I may have to look
into this  as well.

>  I suspect the varied client connection is part of the problem and them
> sitting on the connection threads is hurting us.
>
> what is hurting you?

We have instances where we'd get a high number of concurrent users that the
requests are getting queued, but when I look at the logs, there's a lot of
static files being served for each login page, let alone other pages being
served in aolserver.  So, I'm theorizing that being able to get those
static file requests pushed into a single thread and free up the connection
threads would help in scalability.

>   However, we do not serve big files on our server so this has me
> wondering about the benefits of this change.
>
> whatever big means. connections can "hang" also when writing a few KBs.

Interesting.

>  I'm not certain if aolserver has any facilities for asynchronous file
> writing and spooling.
>
> the writer threads are an extension of naviserver over aolserver
>
>   It seems that I will have to build everything by hand.  I had hoped
> that simply transferring the thread and having it ns_returnfile would be
> enough to get a simple form of background delivery going but it doesn't
> look like that's the case.
>
> if your site requires https, one cant use bgdelivery without a reverse
> proxy.
> otherwise, everything is pre-packaged.
>
> Oh.  We don't use OpenACS as everything here is custom built by me and
others before me.  So, it's looking like I'm going to have to roll up my
sleeves and get to work.

By the way, I've seen in previous posts of yours that the you did switch
from aolserver to naviserver.  How big was the change?  What things did you
have to re-write/port to get them running in naviserver?

Regards.