As far as I know, all requested URLs must be referenced via the pageroot.
If you create a URL or a filesystem softlink that has an absolute path
like /home/scott/myweb/file, and pageroot is set to "/myweb", the server
won't follow the link. I've made that mistake before both in Apache and
AOLserver. It's the proper behavior. If someone does get that to work, I'd
say it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

That doesn't mean, however, that AOLserver itself cannot see or use files
referenced via the absolute path, just that it cannot server files via HTTP
outside of the pageroot. For example, you can point to an SSL cert via
nsopenssl in the nsd.tcl file via an absolute filesystem path. If pageroot
and the filesystem's root are the same, then it doesnt' matter, but you'd
not want to do this. In the case of a chrooted server, the absolute path
will still not work if your chroot top level dir is different from your
pageroot setting.

Hope this muddies the waters.

/s.