Can you duplicate the problem without using a database?  We used to think
a lot of our crash problems were database related because they only happened
on the machine where our DB is used.  But after further testing, we were
able to cause crashes w/o using the DB.

Do you see the "resuming" message in your server log?  If you do, bump
up maxconnections until you never see this message in your log and see
if it still crashes.  I'm not saying this code is broken, but it could
have a race condition or something and since it is not exercised very
often, most sites would never notice.  An alternative would be to
lower maxconnections and see if the problem happens more frequently or
sooner with your load test.

Jim