I think the ns_db command will work if the database cannot be connected to.
At start time, nspostgres is loaded and reads it's section from the nsd.tcl
file. If there is an error in that section (typo, not configured properly
etc.) then nspostgres fails to load and ns_db is disabled. Paul has an
error in his nsd.tcl file.

nspostgres does not to my knowledge try to connect to the database until
the first sql statement you issue, so it'll start up properly even if your
database isn't around.

/s.