I use nsgd - it's a port of gdtclft.

It renders PNG files, but for noone complains about it - I'd be happier
with GIFs, but what the hell.

And a good advice, unless you really need to render these graphs every
time a user hits your page, make a ns_register_proc and use files for
storing graphs - I render each graph only once a day.

Besides that, it's quite easy.

--
WK