From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:AOLSERVER@;LISTSERV.AOL.COM] On Behalf
Of Jeff Hobbs
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] How I'll vote for core team members (long)

> Since AOL has already picked its representation, it seems to me they
> should not vote on the community half of the core team.  Not that
> their votes would necessarily be wrong or bad or have any nefarious
> intention, but more in the interest of fairness, as has been said

I disagree on this point, for a couple of reasons.  While they have
picked their own representation (which I feel is a good thing, because
often the community has no idea who the behind-the-scenes people are and
discounts them unfairly for that), they are also part of the community
and users of AOLServer.  As such, they need to vote on the community
seats as well.  All in all, their votes would only be a small part of
the whole (one would assume).

> This brings up another question: what constitutes a voting member?
> Does one company get 1 vote, or does each employee at a company get a
> vote?

Each member of the core team should have a vote, regardless of company.
When the TCT (Tcl Core Team) was formed, it had several employees of
Scriptics/Ajuba, each as equal members with the others.  There is no
Scriptics anymore (acquire), but each of those people is still TCT
member at a new company, and still participates.  While it's unlikely
that AOL is going to be acquired (hey Jim, any insider trading info?),
it's one of several good reasons to establish an all-equal core team
members.

> For myself, if rather short term limits are put on the members anyway,

Time limits are fine, but what time?  1 year, 2?  Any shorter and it
just becomes a hassle, and 2 years is 100 in internet time.  I think the
easiest is the self-managing aspect that the TCT added (although, to be
honest, the TCT is overweight ...).

Jeff