4.0b2 on RH8, at the moment, but it was a customized 6.2 up until last
Wednesday, all with the -b running.  My nssock is global, and here's its
config:

ns_section ns/module/nssock
ns_param   port            $httpport
ns_param   hostname        $hostname
ns_param   address         $address

Where I've previously done:

set httpport 80
set hostname somehostname
set address 192.168.1.239

If you don't set the address in the nssock config, it might use INADDR_ANY
as the default, and if you don't prebind to all addresses (including the
loopback), you would probably get permission failures binding to the port.