> > Most of the web world runs on MySQL and does ok - just like CDBaby who
> You can't possibly liken Sybase to MySQL!

I know that they are not even in the same league technically, but they
do show disturbingly similar philosophies - like making NULL = NULL by
default because many clients with poorly trained developers asked for
it.

> > with Sybase because you end up needing more lines of code. That is a
> > purely gut feel however.
> I don't see why, what do you think Oracle offers that Sybase doesn't and
> gives it an advantage? 99% of applications I see are nothing more than
> straight SQL jobs. And even when stored procs are involved, I find T-SQL a
> much nicer and language than PL/SQL and uses less code to achieve the same
> thing.

I was really commenting on the sql rather than stored procs. Simple
things like trying to format a date (that's not one of the fixed and
oddly numbered formats) can be quite trying in Sybase.

I do find the T-SQL syntax quite cumbersome too, but I suspect that is
more personal preference than anything else.

> "Enterprise" features like replication is one of the things that lets
> [Postgres]
> down. While miles ahead of "the other free database", backup isn't great
> either. The version 8 option of "stop checkpoints, copy data files" and
> the automatic archiving of log files is nice, but they need to go one more
> step to the equivalent of Sybase's "dump database" and "dump tran"
> commands.

Agreed. Backup has always been weak although it's a lot better than it
was. Same with replication although I am very interested to try out
Slony and also the replication solution from commandprompt.com.