> I use temporary tables in Postgres 7.1 (via "select foo into temporary
> table
> bar").  These are needed for a short time only.  I expected they would
> periodically be deleted.

In PG 8.1, at least, they're deleted at session end.  AOLserver's db pool
mechanism means that might never happen while your site's up if you tell
it to keep handles around forever as some of us, at least, do.

Alternatively you can start a transaction, and create the temp table with
the "on commit drop" clause.  Populate it, use it, then end the
transaction and poof! It's gone.